Tuesday, April 1, 2014


I’ve been keeping a record of these random scenes from day to day life in my shiny new Moleskin notebook, a gift from the supercool Brandon and Mel. I’ll be posting them from time to time:

A family of three speeds by on a motorcycle, barely an inch away from our auto-rickshaw. The woman sits towards the back holding an infant and I laugh thinking about the outbreak of justifiable panic that would erupt if this were to happen back home.

A Muslim girl walks towards me, her face covered with only sharp, stoic eyes peering out. Suddenly they contort, she stops walking and her hand rushes to cover her mouth.
With a shake of her head and a sonic boom a sneeze breaks free.

I step onto my patio Sunday morning and pull an undershirt off the clothes line. I put it on and the thin cotton is warm from the still rising sun.

I walk into a restaurant during what happens to be one of the biggest cricket games of the year.  India versus their former countrymen of Pakistan. The game is projected on the wall and to me it's chaos but all eyes are aimed at the screen.  I assume India has won when the room explodes into hugging and cheering.

A coworker kindly offers to buy me breakfast.
With my last bite an insect surfaces
in the small bowl of cilantro chutney
I've been dipping rice flower cakes into.

No comments:

Post a Comment